APPLYING FOR THE JANUARY
2015 J. EVANS ATTWELL-WELCH POSTDOCTORAL
- Applicants must have a recognized Ph.D. or equivalent
in any of the fields related to nanoscience and engineering, including;
chemistry, physics, material science, electrical, chemical and
- Candidates must be able to complete the appointment
within five years of the award of the Ph.d. degree.
- Since the length of the fellowship is two years, they
must be able to start their appointment by the third anniversary date of
- If the Ph.D. is pending, the applicant must defend
his/her Ph.D. thesis successfully by February 15, 2015.
- Candidates must secure the support of a Rice University
faculty member of the Smalley Institute.
- Postdocs already working at Rice are eligible to apply,
provided that they satisfy the timing requirements above
- Rice postdocs do not have an advantage over external
- One letter of support from a Rice University faculty
member of the Smalley Institute. For a full list of Smalley Institute
members, please go to www.nano.rice.edu and click on Smalley Institute Members.
- Research proposal (three pages maximum, plus an
additional two pages of references and figures)
- A resume and three additional letters of recommendation
- All applications must be submitted to John Marsh,
Director of Operations of the Smalley Institute, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, October 20, 2014.
Additional timeline information:
- The winner of the award will be announced in early in November
- Start date for the appointment: January 1, 2015 (with
grace period for moving, thesis defense, etc.)